Wednesday, April 06, 2016

WHAT IS POETRY?

WHAT IS POETRY?

I mix, match, and blend words
Use verbs to describe
When I write
What the fuck do I know about poetry?
I wonder why it’s not as good as theirs
The ones who are consistently published
And I examine the pile of rejects
I survive on poetry for sustenance
My mind is like a sieve
Thoughts buzz in and out
Been like this for as long as I live
Run through my mind
My mind and my heart intertwined
With appointments and dates a blur
Conversations recalled word for word
As they occur, ground up in a coffee burr
Don’t tell me you don’t remember saying that
I hear your voice clear as day today
Shames surrounds me,
from a tarnished childhood
Like silver needing polish
Live in a secluded fortress
In a palace protecting my soul
Hide away day after day
Like a rash, an allergy that has
No place to go, like a prisoner
Of my own demise
Like unpolished diamond
Glow body and soul
Flow with rhythm
Hidden me emerges in poetry
Courses through my veins
Frees me from my chains


No comments:

Post a Comment